Pages

Friday 11 November 2011

Daylight Savings and Babies' Sleep

My son has recently been weaned from the pacifier a couple of weeks ago (see blogs from Oct. 15-21).  I was dreading the sleepless nights and challenges that would bring.  However, it came and went extremely smoothly. 

When it was time to "fall back" for daylight savings time this past weekend, I didn't give it a second thought.  Being 15 months old, my son has already gone through several of these time changes, so this should not be so hard.  Wrong!  The clocks changed on Sunday, and today is Friday and my son is still having difficulty with going down for naps and staying asleep until 6:30am.  In the past few days I've been putting him to bed at 7:30pm, which is the old 8:30pm and he has been waking up at 5am, thinking it's 6am.  I'd go in to check on him and remind him it's still early and turn on his lullaby music to help him get back to sleep.  He'd drift back to sleep eventually and needs to be woken up at 6:30am.  However, he then blows right through his usual morning nap time at 8:30am.  He has also been having a difficult time getting to sleep for his noon nap.

I will have to bear with this for a while.  However, for the next time change in March, I will try a more gradual process:

1. Three weeks before the time change, I will put my son to bed 15 minutes earlier than the usual time for naps and night time sleep.

2. Two weeks before the time change, I will put him to bed 15 minutes earlier than the previous week for naps and night time sleep.

3. One week before the time change, I will put him to bed 15 minutes earlier than the previous week for naps and night time sleep.

4. When the time changes, I will put my son to bed 15 minutes earlier than the previous week, which is in effect 1 hour earlier than I had put him to bed three weeks prior.

When the time comes, I will write a blog on how that technique turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment